Sunday 30 April 2017

Joshua vs Kilstchko Review



DISCLAIMER: This article is reviewing the main event ONLY.


Anthony Joshua defeated Wladimir Klitschko via 11th round knockout to retain his IBF Heavyweight title and win the vacant IBO and WBA titles.

The fight was one of the greatest Heavyweight bouts of all-time, with Klitschko coming out and surpursing Joshua with a combination of quick jabs and hard uppercuts.

The fifth round came and providing one of the most intense rounds in Boxing.

Joshua dropped Klitschko with a flurry of punches and it looked as if the Urkian was done for.

However, the former multi-time Heavyweight champion rallied in the sixth round and delivered a stunning overhand right to down Joshua for the first-time in his career.

The Briton answered the count at eight and came back to knockout Klitschko with a vicious uppercut in the 11th round.


After the fight, Joshua said to BBC Radio 5 Live "I knew it was possible to hurt him, but I am learning round by round. I'm learning under the bright lights. I don't come to box, I come to hurt people. With all due respect, I came to hurt him. 

"At the end of the day, I figured out what I had to do and got him done. I'm coming back to Wembley. I'll look forward to seeing you here again. 

"There's been many a time in training when we go into the 11th round and I'm tired but I know I have to keep it up because I have to go the distance. I showed tonight that fights are won in the gym. It gets tough and boxing isn't easy. You have to have the whole package."

Joshua also called out suspended Tyson Fury post-fight for a potential British Heavyweight clash and the out-spoken 'Gyspey King' responded on Twitter.

The respect between Joshua and Klitschko was, as ever, present in the aftermath of the absolute slug fest.


It's been oddly refreshing to have a fight not being swamped by heated verbal exchanges and press-conferences turning into a scene from a nightclub in the early hours of the morning.

This respectful but focused atmosphere around the build-up added to the best fight of the year so far and it will take something truly spectacular to top it.



No comments:

Post a Comment